There are plenty of fun and exciting activities to do in the North Georgia mountains and lakes. Here are some suggestions:
1. **Hiking and Biking**: There are numerous trails in the area, including the Appalachian Trail, Benton MacKaye Trail, and the Aska Trails. You can enjoy the beautiful scenery, waterfalls, and wildlife.
2. **Fishing**: Lake Chatuge in Hiawassee and Carters Lake near Ellijay are popular spots for fishing. You can catch a variety of fish including bass, crappie, and catfish.
3. **Boating and Water Sports**: Lake Chatuge and Blue Ridge Lake offer opportunities for boating, jet skiing, paddleboarding, and kayaking.
4. **Wine Tasting**: The North Georgia mountains are home to several vineyards and wineries. You can take a tour, enjoy wine tasting, and even participate in grape stomping events.
5. **Apple Picking**: Ellijay is known as the "Apple Capital of Georgia". In the fall, you can visit the apple orchards and participate in the annual Georgia Apple Festival.
6. **Exploring Historic Downtowns**: The towns of Blue Ridge, Ellijay, Blairsville, and Hiawassee have charming downtown areas with unique shops, art galleries, and restaurants.
7. **Horseback Riding**: There are several stables in the area that offer horseback riding through the beautiful mountain trails.
8. **Scenic Drives**: The Russell-Brasstown Scenic Byway and the Southern Highroads Trail offer stunning views of the mountains, especially during the fall when the leaves are changing colors.
9. **Wildlife Viewing**: The Chattahoochee National Forest is home to a variety of wildlife. You might see deer, wild turkeys, and if you're lucky, a black bear.
10. **Camping**: There are numerous campgrounds and RV parks in the area where you can enjoy a night under the stars.
Remember, each season offers its own unique activities and experiences, so there's always something to do in the North Georgia mountains and lakes!